Monday, February 20, 2012

Experimenting with Mosaics

We spent a couple days at my mother-in-law's house this weekend.  She is an art teacher so she always has good project ideas.  She had bought a big bag of glass tiles of all different colors and a couple of wooden frames from an art supply store.  I made this:




I'm way too much of a perfectionist for my own good... I spent about an hour arranging tiles, trying to get the perfect fade from green to blue to purple to pink.  It was like doing one of those puzzles where you have to push the tiles around to put the picture together, except worse, because no matter how long I worked on it, there was never a right answer.  There always seemed to be room for improvement.  And that, my friends, is why I like math.




After I got my tile arrangement perfect-enough, I spray-painted my wooden frame with a few coats of purple.  Once it was dry, I used wood glue to attach the tiles to the frame.





After the glue dried, we mixed the grout with a little purple acrylic paint to color it and I went to town.





Once the project was wiped clean and it dried, I put it in the bathroom to use as a decorative tray to hold perfumes and bottles.







Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment