Friday, January 27, 2012

Adventures in Sconing


"Sconing" is a word that I invented to mean "the making of scones."  I have made a lot of scones lately.  Four different kinds in the last four months, in fact.  My first attempt were pumpkin scones and I made them because I was excited about the arrival of the fall season.  Unfortunately, the recipe called for nutmeg, ginger, and cloves and I didn't have ginger. So I thought it would be okay if I left it out.  Bad, bad decision.  They had the worst after taste.  I decided from then on, I would always make sure I had every single ingredient before attempting a new recipe.

A couple weeks ago I attended a baby shower and I had volunteered to bring a pastry to share.  I decided that I was not going to let my first failed attempt at making scones stop me from trying again, so this time I decided to make blueberry scones with a lemon glaze.  At the last minute I decided to set aside half of the dough and add chocolate chips to it instead of blueberries (mostly because I don't like blueberries, and by golly, if I was going to spend my time baking them, I wanted to at least be able to enjoy one!).  

At Starbucks, my favorite pastry is the maple oat scone.  SOOOO good.  I want to say they cost something like $2.95 each... too much.  Buy a coffee drink and suddenly you are spending 7 bucks.  For that price you might as well go to Olive Garden for lunch.  Anyway, I searched online for a copycat recipe, and found one.  Yesterday I tried my hand at it, and to my delight, they tasted very similar to the Starbuck's scones.  I will definitely have to make them again.  Even Chris, who isn't overly fond of scones or maple-flavored things, thought they tasted amazing. Next time I go to Starbucks I'll have to save a few bucks and sneak one of these babies in to have with my coffee. :)  

Now for the recipes.


Maple Oat Nut Scones

                                  1 cup oats (quick or old-fashioned)
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 1/2 tablespoons cold butter (small pieces)
1 large egg
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 teaspoon maple extract
2/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Maple Glaze:
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon maple extract
equal parts water and maple syrup (just a few teaspoons of each)

Preheat oven to 425°F.
Using a food processor or blender, finely grind oats.
Mix together flour, oats, sugar, salt and baking powder.
Cut in butter and maple syrup until dough forms coarse crumbs. Mix in pecans.
In a small bowl, beat the egg with the cream and maple extract.
Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and fold together.
Place dough on a lightly floured surface. 
Knead and pat dough into a 8 to 10 inch circle and cut into 8 wedges.
Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. 
Place wedges on top and bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until light brown.
Remove scones from oven and let cool about 3 to 5 minutes.
Mix glaze ingredients until smooth. 
Adjust the amount of water & maple syrup to get to the desired consistency (just a few teaspoons of each). 
Spread glaze over each scone and dry about 15 minutes before serving.




Blueberry (& Chocolate Chip) Scones:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut in chunks
1 cup fresh blueberries (or chocolate chips)
1 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing the scones

Lemon Glaze (for blueberry scones):
1/4 - 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Mix together the dry ingredients; the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. 
Using a pastry blender (or two forks), cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. 
Fold the blueberries (or chocolate chips) into the batter. (Try not to mash the blueberries because their color will bleed into the dough. This part was tricky for me! The chocolate chips were a lot easier.) 
Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in the cream. 
Fold everything together just to incorporate.
Press the dough into an 8-inch circle and slice into 8 triangles. 
Place the scones on a greased cookie sheet and brush the tops with heavy cream. 
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the edges begin to brown. 
Let the scones cool for a few minutes before you apply the glaze.
For lemon glaze: Melt the butter for the glaze in the microwave. 
Whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. 
Add melted butter and whisk until smooth. 
Drizzle glaze over the top of the scones.



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment